Soy sauce goes well with mayonnaise. Even foods with a delicate taste like tofu can be changed completely when they are cooked so they get the aroma of soy sauce and the richness of mayonnaise. In this recipe, black pepper is added to give the dish a little kick, but this can also be amped up with chili powder.
- 1 block of tofu (350 grams)
- 100 grams of shimeji mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- A pinch of black pepper
- Drain the water off the tofu. Wrap the tofu with a paper towel and put it in a microwave for 3 minutes (at 600 Watts). If you do not have a microwave, put a plate or a stainless steel tray on the tofu and put it in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Mix together the soy sauce, mayonnaise, sugar, and black pepper.
- Wipe any excess moisture off the tofu and cut it into eight pieces.
- Lightly cover each tofu block with flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the tofu.
- Make sure that both sides of the tofu are golden brown.
- Add the shimeji mushrooms and stir to incorporate, then add the soy sauce spice mix.
- When the sauce starts to thicken, remove everything onto a plate and enjoy!