Nizakana is fish which have a light flavor, such as flounder, cooked with mainly soy sauce and sweet seasonings. The flounder will end up being very soft and the combination of saltiness and sweetness are a perfect fit with it. This is a very healthy dish that does not use any oil. The smells that come from the pot when you simmer the fish will make you very hungry!
For the patty:
- 200 cc water
- 100 cc sake (or cooking wine)
Note: 300 cc of water + sake (less sake is fine)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or 2 tablespoons honey)
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons (koikuchi) soy sauce
- 4 slices of ginger
- 3-4 slices of flounder or whatever white flesh fish
Note: To make calculation easier, a mixture of 1. sake (partially water), 2. sugar, 3. mirin, and 4. soy sauce (regular soy sauce + partially tamari is also good) used at a ratio of 6 : 1 : 1 : 1 is superb!
- Put all ingredients except for the flounder into the pan and heat them up until they boil.
- After the sauce has boiled, put the flounder into it and cover the put with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.