This is authentic traditional Japanese Futomaki sushi role. It is still popular among all generations. We recommend traditional one for vegetarians too. You can enjoy it including salmon instead, if you like!
＜vinegared rice (can be used for other recipes)＞
- 200g rice
- 210g water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
＜Classic Futomaki sushi, recommended for vegans＞
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 100ml water
- 20ｇ gourd stripes
- hot water (for boiling)
- Shiitake mushroom liquid + 200ml water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- cucumber (cut in half)
- 3% of the weight in salt
- 3% solution of saltwater
Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons broth (kelp broth + water)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- about 1 teaspoon or less salt
How to make vinegared rice
- Wash the rice with water and pour it in a pot with a lid.
- Cook on medium heat, and when boiling, reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes without taking the lid off.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the rice gently the rice with rice paddle
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt
- Add #5 to the rice and fold it into the rice with a rice paddle. Let the resulting mixture cool.
Preparation of ingredients
- Sprinkle the salt over the cucumbers and roll them on a cutting board (we call this Itazuri). Rinse the salt with running water then soak the cucumbers in a 3% solution of saltwater for 12 to 24 hours.
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in water.
- Bundle the gourd strips and place them on a cutting board. Sprinkle some salt on them and rub it in. Rinse them until they become soft. Put them in a pan with 3 cups of water and boil them for about 10 minutes until they become soft enough to be cut with your fingernail.
- In a small pan, add the shiitake mushroom liquid (add water so it becomes 200 ml of liquid in total), sugar, soy sauce, and mirin, and heat them. Boil the shiitake mushrooms first on low heat.
- When shiitake mushrooms are cooked, add the squeezed gourd stripes and simmer. Stop the heat just before the broth evaporates so they soak up the flavor.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, mix quickly and then add the broth, sugar, honey, and salt
- Cook the egg vertically in the fried egg pan
- brush a thin layer of oil and pour 1/4 of the egg mixture in the pan. When the egg is almost set, fold the closest edge away from you three times. pour the remaining 1/4 of the egg mixture to cover the remaining 3/4 of the pan and roll it in the same way
How to roll futomaki sushi
- For Makisu (sushi mat), the flat side (not the green colored side) is the front side. Put the seaweed and sushi rice on this surface.
- Place the darning thread on the other side and align the ends of the seaweed and the edge of the sushi mat.
- Put the smooth surface of seaweed down and put the rice on the other side (a recent trend in Japan is to put an extremely thin layer of rice and put lots of ingredients instead).
- Spread the sushi rice leaving 2cm space at the far edge of the seaweed. Wet your fingers with tezu (vinegared water) or if it's for a party, use disposable cooking gloves to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands and also for sanitation.
Put the ingredients three-dimensionally just in front of the space on the other side (this is important!).
・on top of them put shiitake mushroom
・then put 2 gourd stripes
- Hold the front of the sushi mat, seaweed, sushi rice and roll it while holding the ingredients while using your middle finger to prevent anything from coming out.
- Hold the two edges of the sushi roll.
- Pull the bottom of the sushi mat over and tighten the roll.
- Use your index finger to hold it from the top and tighten it as if you make a square shape.
- Roll and tighten again.
seafood futomaki sushi
- Egg, cucumber, gourd stripes (the same as classic futomaki sushi)