How to make a tofu hamburger steak:
Japanese kids love hamburger steak that is made from mainly minced meat, minced onion, and egg. You can make very healthy hamburger steak alternative using tofu.
Using tofu instead of meat will transform a hamburger stake into a low-calorie food. You can make a soft and satisfying dish even though you don't use meat.
For the patty:
- 1 package of medium firm tofu (approximately 200 grams)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 carrot (or any vegetables that you want)
- 1 potato
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons of potato starch
- Grated daikon radish and green onion
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) of tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoons mirin (brown sugar can be a substitute)
- Saute the minced onion and carrot.
- Mix the ponzu sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Grate the daikon radish and cut the green onion into small pieces.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towel after draining its water.
- Mix the firm tofu, minced onion, minced carrot (or minced vegetables) together.
- Put a little bit of water into a bowl with the potato that has been cut into bite-sized pieces and microwave them for 5 minutes. After that mash them into a mashed potatoes while they are hot.
- Put the mashed potato into the mix from step 4, and add potato starch, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to make good sized patties from the mixture from step 6 and pan fry them for 4 to 5 minutes until both side turn a nice golden brown.
- Top with grated daikon radish and green onion. Drizzle the ponzu sauce over the hamburger steak.