In this recipie, you will simmer pork belly with sweetened soy sauce until it gets tender. It is delicious when it becomes so soft that it can be cut with a fork.
- 1 kilogram pork belly
- 3 cloves ginger
- 10 centimeters green part of green onions
- 5 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 Tablespoons sake (replaceable with white wine)
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- Put pork belly, ginger and green onion in a large pot and pour water into the pot until the ingredients are covered and bring everything to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes making sure to skim off the foam every time it floats up. Add water so that the pork belly is covered with water at all times.
- Take out the pork belly and drain it. Save 2 cups of the resulting liquid
- Put the pork belly, 2 cups of the liquid from step 2 and all seasonings in a pot and simmer over high heat. After the liquid boils, reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. When the sauce is practically gone, turn off the heat.
- When pork belly soaks up the flavor of the sauce and becomes tender it's ready to serve.